Katie Jaynes Photography Blog





Welcome to the blog. Here you're going to find everything from heart-warming marriage stories, to beautiful images of our clients. We want to invite you into our lives.


July 17, 2018

Marriage Monday: Taking Care of My Less-Wise Wife

These past few days were kind of stressful for us. Katie had the pleasure of getting three of her wisdom teeth taken out. This was a new milestone for us in our marriage. We haven’t had to have any major surgeries during our relationship. It was time for me to do my best to play nurse.

The journey started on Thursday morning. Katie’s surgery was scheduled for 9 a.m. We showed up a couple of minutes early (the first time we’ve been early to anything in a long time). We filled out some paperwork and then sat down in the waiting room. We only had to wait about 3 minutes before they were ready to take her back to get started. Katie wasn’t nervous at all, she was ready to get it over with. I, on the other hand, wasn’t so calm.

Luckily I didn’t have to wait long. In about 20 minutes, they had finished everything up and wheeled a very sleepy Katie outside into the waiting area. Then they gave me a long sheet of instructions for taking care of my wife with fewer teeth. The nurse went point by point down the list. I was a little terrified.

After she finished up, I pulled my car around, and they wheeled her out in a wheelchair. Aside from the gauze stuffed in her mouth, she looked as great as always! The nurse helped her get in the car, and then we were off. In and out in less than 30 minutes.

Okay, I know you’ve seen all the videos about the people saying crazy things after wisdom teeth removal. Everyone told me to film her after the surgery.

I didn’t video her, but she also didn’t do anything. She sat down in the car, asked if she could read the instructions the nurse gave me. Then she quietly read them. And she read. And she read. And she read some more. I went to fill her prescription. Came out to her in the car, and she was still reading. Drove home, and she was STILL READING. She is apparently very serious about following the doctor’s orders.

We got home, she curled up in bed, and that was that. She slept a lot, I would wake her up to take some pills (there were SO many prescriptions), and she would eat some applesauce.The next few days after that consisted of a lot of napping and eating ice cream and yogurt (which is what she normally does anyway).

It’s been four days, and she’s doing great! We made it through our first scary surgery together. There wasn’t much swelling and only a little bit of discomfort. She took it like a champ, but I think my nursing skills helped a little bit as well. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *